The Owen Barfield Society
The Society was inaugurated in 2007 and its annual meetings are held under the auspices of the Rocky Mountain Modern Language Association.
Bodleian Library, University of Oxford
Holds most of the papers from Barfield’s study.
The collection includes literary manuscripts, working notes, appointment diaries, extensive correspondence with friends, colleagues and students, correspondence with his publishers, family photographs, and publications. There are also some papers of close family members and friends.
The Marion E. Wade Center of Wheaton College, Illinois, USA
Contains books and articles by and about Barfield, including first editions; dissertations; periodicals; some audio-visual media; letters, manuscripts, and archives.
- Owen Barfield Letters
- Owen Barfield Manuscripts
- Owen Barfield Library
- A Chronology of Connections
- Owen Barfield photos: The collection contains approximately 150 images of Barfield, along with some family members, dating from his childhood in the early 1900s through to the 1980s.
Azusa Pacific University
Special Collections Library, CA, USA.
University of Toronto
E. J. Pratt Library of Victoria College Library, Canada:
Owen Barfield / S. T. Coleridge Collection
- Includes the manuscript of Barfield’s edition of Coleridge’s Lectures 1818-1819 On the History of Philosophy
University of North Carolina
Special Collections Library:
- Owen Barfield / C.S. Lewis Estate Collection
Approximately 300 letters by Barfield dealing with C.S. Lewis’s literary matters, dated circa 1970 – 1980.
Other links for Barfieldian and Consciousness Studies
Here is a selection – to include your place of teaching, please contact us.
- The Center for Action and Contemplation, Albuquerque, NM, USA
- California Institute of Integral Studies, San Francisco, CA, USA
- The Institute of Noetic Sciences, Petaluma, CA, USA
- Rudolf Steiner College, Sacramento, CA, USA
- The Nature Institute, Ghent, NY, USA
Brazilian Institute of Philosophy and Science Ramón Llull,
So Paulo, BRAZIL
- Sydney Rudolf Steiner College, Sydney, AUSTRALIA
- The Rudolf Steiner University College, Oslo, NORWAY
- Alanus University, Bonn, GERMANY
- Institute of British Studies at the University of Leipzig, GERMANY
- Temenos Academy, London, ENGLAND
- New View Magazine, London, ENGLAND
- Associative Economics, Kent, ENGLAND
- Schumacher College, Devon, ENGLAND
- The Field Centre, Gloucestershire, ENGLAND
About the Literary Estate
Our aims are:
- To promote the writings and intellectual legacy of Arthur Owen Barfield
- To support scholarly research and studies in Barfield’s ideas and works
- To improve access to the archives of Barfield papers:
- ‘Owen Barfield Papers‘ – Bodleian Library, University of Oxford (opened 2010)
- ‘Owen Barfield / GB Tennyson Letters‘ – Wade Center, Wheaton College, IL USA (received 2008)
- ‘Owen Barfield Family Papers‘ – Azusa Pacific University Library, CA USA (due to open 2013)
- ‘Owen Barfield / C.S. Lewis Estate Collection‘ – University of North Carolina Library, USA (opened 2011).
Trustee: Owen A. Barfield, grandson (appointed 2006).
Former Trustees from 1997:
- Walter Hooper (retired 2006),
- Georg Tennyson (deceased 2007),
- Thomas Kranidas (retired 2008),
- Shirley Sugerman (retired 2008).
For copyright and permissions please contact: . Enquiries will be answered promptly, but at times there may be a delay.
Radio interview with Owen Barfield about C.S. Lewis, recorded for BBC Cambridge in September 1987. 19 minutes long. Direct link.
Owen Barfield’s Academic Appointments in North America
|1964-65||Visiting Professor of Philosophy and Religion
|1965-66|| Visiting Professor of English Literature
|Fall 1967|| Visiting Professor of Philosophy and Religion
|Spring 1968|| Visiting Professor of Philosophy
|Spring 1969|| Visiting Professor of English Literature
State University of Missouri
|Spring 1972|| Aquinas Visiting Professor
|Fall 1974|| Visiting Professor of Religious Studies
State University of New York, Stony Brook
|Fall 1978|| Cecil and Ida Green Foundation Lecturer
University of British Columbia
|Spring 1980|| Visiting Scholar
California State University, Fullerton
Doctor of Humane Letters
(D. H. L.)
|Awarded in Spring 1968 by Hamilton College|
Doctor of Letters
|Awarded in Spring 1972 by Drew University|
Owen Barfield’s Library of Books
He kept with him about 1,500 of his most treasured books.
Of these: 266 books are preserved in the ‘Owen Barfield Family Collection’ of the Azusa Pacific University Library (near Los Angeles, CA, USA). These are mainly household books from the 1920’s when Barfield was an author/poet living near Oxford.
42 books were donated to the Wade Center, Wheaton College. These are German language texts, mainly on the topic of Anthroposophy. Barfield translated many original works by Rudolf Steiner into English, and imbued them with an “English Spirit”.
1,160 books were sold in 2001 by Walter Hooper via Waterfield’s bookshop in Oxford (now closed). The Waterfield’s two-part sale catalogue is available in the Wade Center, along with about 100 books from the sale.